Wednesday, August 10, 2005

 

Snow in Canberra


Well, here you have it. Granted, it is the middle of winter, and granted, Canberra is in what passes for mountains here in Oz. It still comes as a big surprise when we see the white stuff falling from the sky though. Grizzled old Canberrans would have looked out their windows, stroked their beards and made comparisons with "the last great snowfall of 86". Yes, it's been that long since we had a decent bit of snow.

Of course, I wouldn't be expecting to see a snow plough out on the road any time soon...

That said, a mate at work mentioned he knew a guy that got snowed in the last time. This was down in Theodore, so I guess a bit higher up than the bulk of Canberra. There wasn't a lot of snow, just enough to turn the steep, narrow streets of Theodore into a black ice hell. Called into work saying "I'm snowed in!" - and he was actually right!

So there you go. These pics were taken by my lovely better half, who is all of about five days away from giving birth to our first child. If you're all really lucky I'll be posting stuff about parenthood and such some other time. You might even get baby photos...

Chiz - C.

Comments:
My wife and I have this stupid thing where whenever we see snow we have to give a snow report. With a lisp.

"Thnow, I sthee thnow. This is the thnow report ! There is thno"

Thanks for nuthin Techno !

Great pics. Pity it didn't hang around

Shakes fist at sky ! Damn you !!!, DAMN YOU !!!

Mikey

PS How cool would it be if Bob pops out just as a fresh blanket of the white stuff drifts on down ? I'll tell you. Damn cool.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?