Sunday, October 23, 2005

 

My First GeoCaching Adventure

Wow!

Had a great day today, out with friends and doing our very first GeoCaching. This was a fabulous opportunity to get out and enjoy the sunshine, solve some puzzles and see some parts of our lovely city that I otherwise may never have even known existed.

Location of the first cache Where the first cache started What was in the cache

Our first cache was a multi-cache. The first location provided clues to the next, and so on, for a total of three steps to the final destination. I have to say that this is a math geek's heavenly sport, as each clue involved transposing letters into numbers and then doing some quite large addition, multiplication and subtraction to arrive at the final result, then articulating this into coordinates for the GPS unit.
The second cache was somewhere up there

Second cache was more straightforward, just coords leading to a specific location. Still a heap of fun though, and a great view from the top of Pine Island as a reward.


Plans are already afoot to develop my own caches, including a wicked multi-cache or two. I'll post all the goss when it's done.

Comments:
I've always wanted to go geocaching, and put the Garmin to work. Sounds like brilliant fun.
 
Yep. I am not a maths geek, but I can see that be fun.

Did you go 'Dut,dut,dut,dut,dut,dut,dut,dut,dut,dut,dut' when you got close as per a Star Trek effect?

I would have done...
 
Sorry Mikey, no SFX, although I suppose there is always the possibility of wearing Trek-esque jumpsuits for one of these outings... you could come along and wear a red one :)

Larry, I would definitely recommend blowing the dust off your GPS, checking the GeoCaching site and finding yourself a cache or two. It is buku fun and it's the right time of year for it as well.

Just check the coords before you go and make sure you're not being led into "Deliverance" country...
 
I think you should make the "circle of Canberra" one. It'd be appropriate given the number of round abouts here! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?