Saturday, September 02, 2006
I am SO stoked right now. There was a competition in the online game I play, Cities, to draw a map of the known world. I won!
Now I have to choose a boon as a prize. Given the name of my character and most of my online personae (Cthu1hu) Capital_Mum suggested that an Octopus Hat might be just the thing. I was thinking I might also ask the 'King to raise an island in the Southern Ocean for me, called R'lyeh...
Seriously folks, if you're not playing Cities yet - why not?! It's brilliant!
What do the red lines mean? And did you do the full scroll look and everything too? Drawn on paper and scanned?
So many questions... :)
1) "Here Be Dragons" is written around the middle because, well, that's where the dragons are.
2) The red lines are a cartographic nicety that have no real meaning beyond joining all the important places on the map and making it look like someone was using some sort of survey information.
3) I did all the artwork. It was all digital, except for a couple of bits that weren't. Like the cute seaserpents.
4) Yes, there really is a place called "Bentnob" 8D
5) All built in Paint Shop Pro 8, using a combination of raster and vector layers, all lovingly crammed together with a selection of transparencies and custom brushes. More or less.
Glad you both liked it. You going to come play now, or is it still too low-tech for you?
Of course. It's the dragon's that aren't conforming to the map-making niceties. :P
Like I told you, I am almost tempted to play after seeing that map. Problem would just be scheduling time between World of Warcraft and World of Warcraft.
Hey, is there a limit to how many action points you can accumulate between sessions of play? If not it wouldn't matter if I only did it once or twice a week I guess...
There are also a bunch of quests that increase your maximum AP which can decrease the frequency of playing. The worst that happens is you max out your AP and possibly go to Limbo.
So leap on board - Capital Mum and I can even kit you out with a bunch of stuff to give you a head start!